Building muscle takes more than just putting in time at the gym. While training is obviously important, rest is equally significant. It is during this time muscles heal from the stresses forced on them during exercise.

Meat is naturally rich in multiple vitamins and minerals, all of which essential for muscle gain. It contains high quantities of zinc, selenium and B vitamins such as .B 2, B 6 and B 12.

Zinc, known for helping in the production of protein, assists in the recovery, repair and growth of muscle cells as well as boosting the body’s immune system.

Selenium, an anti-oxidant, helps prevent muscle injury post-workout by preventing oxidative damage to the healthy muscle cells, allowing them to repair and grow faster.

B6 and B12 even have specialised roles that directly relate to muscle growth. B6 is needed for metabolism and B12 is required for maintaining nerve function, thus allowing muscles to contract.

Red meat also contains Creatine. Creatine is a nitrogen-containing compound that provides muscles with energy and helps improve protein synthesis, encouraging muscle gain. 90% of creatine is found in the muscles with the remaining 10% in the heart and brain.